The Four Rivers of Jannah
Inspiration taken from Surah Muhammed (47:15)
مثل الجنة التى وُعد المتقون
“A parable of the Garden which the righteous have been promised….”
ولهم فيها من كل الثمرت و مغفرة من ربهم
“And they will have in it from all [kinds of] fruits,
and forgiveness from their Lord…..”
To complete the beautiful ayah, we offer a course in “all kinds of Fruits”: The Ten Authentic Variant Recitations of the Qur’an
(العشرة الصغرى والكبرى)
“In it are rivers of water unaltered”
Just as water forms the basis of life, the Tajweed Stream at Jannah Institute ensures a solid basis for our students to begin their Quran journey with. Going into detail regarding tajweed rules, it is ideal for those looking to specialize in tajweed study and eventually, teaching.
- Foundation Level
Recognizing the Arabic alphabet and reading Qura’nic words
- Level One
Articulation points of letters, Rules of Noon/Meem/Laam Sakinaat, al-Mudood (Lengthenings)
- Level Two
Characteristics of letters, Heaviness and Lightness of letters, Types of Assimilation (al-Idghamaat), Accent (al-Nebr), The Connecting Hamzah
- Level Three
Stopping and starting, Stopping on the ends of words, Qur’anic Script
(Shaykha Kareema Czerepinski’s three-part series Tajweed Rules of the Quran are the course books for this stream)
Perfecting Recitation Stream
- Like milk in its whiteness and purity, the Perfecting Recitation Stream seeks to enable the Qur’an to “flow” on the tongues of its reciters. With extra emphasis on fluency and accuracy of recitation, it makes no compromise with the application of established tajweed rules.
- This stream is ideal for those who wish to improve and perfect their recitation of the Quran without going into details of tajweed theory.
- After this stream, students have the option of moving to the Memorization Stream, or can continue to perfect their recitation by remaining in this Stream.
- Rivers of Jannah welcomes students to its Memorization Stream, open to those who wish to commit the Words of Allah to heart. A journey whose joy can be tasted fully only by those honored and chosen by Allah to imbibe His Words.
- As the Qur’an should be recited and memorized as it was revealed to the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم, we encourage our hifz students to ensure they have the recitation skills in place to begin this blessed journey. Hence this stream is open to students who are proficient in application of minimum Level One tajweed rules.
Review and Consolidation Stream
- The process of review and consolidation is essential to the journey of memorization and tasting the true sweetness of the Qur’an. At Jannah Institute, we recognize and cater to this requirement though this stream.
- After finishing a set of five ajza, the concerned class teacher can dedicate a few weeks, or a whole semester for intensive review.
- As the number of ajza builds up for our hifz students, the review classes will likewise reflect this in terms of how many ajza are reviewed per semester. Special emphasis will be laid on recognizing similar ayaat (al-mutashabihaat) across ajza, an essential area for huffaz of the Qur’an.
القراءات العشرة المتواترة
Ten Variant Readings
- Rivers of Jannah is honored to present the Authentic Variant Recitations as part of the revival of the sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad
It is narrated from ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbas that Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said: "Jibreel recited the Qur'an to me in one way. Then I requested him (to read it in another way), and continued asking him to recite it in other ways, and he recited it in several ways till he ultimately recited it in seven different ways." (Al Bukhari 4991)
- We are presenting the riwayah of Imam Warsh, who learned it from his teacher Imam Nafi’ in Al Medinah. It remains to this day a popular mode of recitation, especially in North Africa. Our teacher Shaykhah Rabeyah Shad holds ijazah in the Ten Authentic Recitations from Dar al Huda, Jeddah. This class is a unique opportunity for advanced students of the Quran to begin their journey from the Rivers, to the Fruits of Jannah!